Dealing with a breakup and healing from it can take time. You need to give yourself a chance to grieve the loss and move on.
A breakup is often one of the most stressful and emotionally challenging times in our lives. Whatever the reason, it can be painful and difficult to move on. Even when you know a relationship is no longer good for you, you still need to grieve the loss of the dreams and commitments you had made as well as the person. When a relationship fails after you had high hopes for it, it can be a big disappointment.
A breakup launches you into the unknown. Your routine is disrupted, as well as your responsibilities, home and relationships with family and friends. You are now uncertain about your future- what will life be like without them?, Will you ever want to be with someone else again? Sometimes these unknowns can feel worse than being in a bad relationship.
Remind yourself often that you will be ok. You will get over this and you will be yourself again. Here are my top 5 tips for dealing with a breakup.
Top 5 tips for dealing with a breakup
- Don’t try to bottle up or deny your feelings. You need to embrace how you are feeling and not feel guilty for having them. If you feel sad, cry. If you need to stay in bed and wallow for a while, do it. You need to get through this stage by allowing yourself to feel what you feel and give yourself time to get past those feelings.
- Talk about what has happened. Talk about how you are feeling and the thoughts you are having. Often we get so caught up in our own thoughts, we forget that they may not be quite logical or realistic. Get guidance and support on how to move forward.
- Remind yourself that you will be ok again. Even if you don’t feel like it now. You will still have a future and you will get back to feeling yourself, no matter how hard that is to believe in the moment.
- Say yes to almost all invites. You might not feel like going out or hanging out with friends but you need to push through those feelings and get out and do things. This will remind you that you will be ok again.
- Meet new people. Get to know people, be reminded that there are others in the world who can make you laugh, smile, and feel good about yourself.