How to get over a breakup: 5 top tips will give you an idea of what it takes to get over a breakup. You may be feeling lonely, hopeless, distressed and/or depressed at times. Breakups are often equated to grief so it is no surprise that it feels like a challenge. You are not alone in how you are feeling and there are ways to make it better. Here are my top 5 tips to get started.
1. Permit yourself to feel your feelings. Try not to judge yourself or get frustrated at yourself for feeling how you are. It is a normal part of the process. Try to sit with those feelings and accept them with patience and kindness towards yourself.
2. Try to think of it the same way you’d think of a physical injury. It is an emotional injury. You are heart broken right now. If you had a broken arm or leg, you wouldn’t be 100% yourself or able to do things you would usually do. Be kind to yourself during this process, it will pass.
3. Reconnect with things you used to enjoy. Whether you can join a club you used to go to or whether you just run a bath with some candles or do some self-care. Maybe you could start running again or go for dinner with a friend. Do things that used to make you feel good, try to get on with normal things and reconnect with what makes you happy. (Your ex wasn’t the only thing that made you happy, trust me!)
4. Seek distance from your ex. Every time you interact with them or check on their social media platforms, you are essentially picking off the scab that has just started to heal the wound. If you must communicate, try to keep it business-like and leave that scab alone! Let it heal, the more you pick, the more it scars and the longer it takes to heal!
5. Talk to a professional. We at breakup-help can offer you remote telephone sessions to talk you through the process and guide you to a better place. We even let you have your first telephone session for free! Book here to secure yours.