How to get over someone: 5 expert tips to help you move on, when you feel like moving on from your ex is hopeless and is never going to happen. Moving past a breakup will be difficult, but there are ways to make it a little easier.
1. Be patient with yourself. The most common thing I see with my clients is that they set expectations of themselves for when they should be feeling better or happy again. Give yourself a chance. Try not to apply pressure to yourself this way and work on being patient with yourself.
2. Channel your inner cheerleader. Breakups can make you forget your worth. You will be blaming yourself for things and feeling unlovable or unwanted. This is not rational thinking and you need to actively work on focusing on your best qualities.
3. Cut off contact with your ex. It is especially important to do this if communicating with them is making you feel hopeful that things will go back to normal. This is unhealthy because it means you aren’t living in the present moment and that your ex has control over your future. (This is of course not possible for some people, if you have children together for example. In this case it is important to only make communication about the child).
4. Allow yourself to feel what you are feeling. Cry if you need to. As often as you need to. Cut off people who make you feel worse even if temporary. You need to put your well-being first so if you need to be cut-throat about not communicating with people who make you feel worse, do so.
5. TALK to someone about what is happening and how you are feeling. If you have a close friend or family member maybe they will let you put them on standby if you have the urge to text or call your ex, that way you can contact your friend instead. Talk to a professional who can help work through all these tips with you. It’s easier read than done!
Hopefully you enjoyed our 5 expert tips on how to get over someone. If you are going through a breakup, book your first free chat with our breakup coach here.