How do I get over my ex? The question that brings people our way! It’s a big challenge for anybody to get over a breakup but with guidance and support it is definitely possible. If you feel like you can’t be happy without them and don’t know how to move froward with your life right now, reach out to us for a free 20 minute chat to get started! In the meantime, here are some useful tips to become aware of.
Top 5 tips:
1) Have some space from them and everything that is to do with them. Being reminded of the ‘good times’ isn’t going to help you right now. Avoid your ex as much as you can because you will get over the breakup much sooner the less contact you allow yourself to have with them. This includes social media stalking them and checking their last seen on whatsapp!
2) say yes to all the things you are invited to do. If your friends ask you to go with them to a jazzercise class – GO. Force yourself to be sociable with old friends and new. You need reminding that there is more to life than your ex.
3) Talk to someone about what you are going through. If possible, speak with a professional or someone who can offer you legitimate guidance that has been proven to work. You need to be able to voice the thoughts and feelings you are experiencing without feeling like you are bringing down the mood in your friendship group or feeling like you are repeating yourself about things to your friends and family. We can help you here!
4) Allow yourself to be sad about what has happened. If you need to cry in bed for a few hours or even a day or two, do that. Make sure you get up at some point and do functional things but allow yourself to sit with your feelings and wallow a little. This is ok. This is necessary for your healing.
5) Remind yourself of the things that made you unhappy in the relationship. Take the rose tinted glasses off in you can because your mind is tricking you into thinking everything was your fault and they are perfect and you need to change to fix things! This is not necessarily accurate. Try not to blame yourself for what has happened. It is far more complicated than that.